Skipped navigation; Beginning of main content

Date updated: March 22, 2018

There are probably lots of questions running through your mind and you have no idea where to begin and what you need. We are here to help.


What can your employer offer you while you are providing care?

Do you have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?

Does your employer offer flex-time, family leave days or other support?

Are you entitled to benefits or insurance?

What support is available in your community?

Urban: Large urban centres can offer more programs and services.

Rural: In many rural communities neighbours usually help neighbours, and supportive community groups can be available as well. These can be valuable resources for caregivers; but not all caregivers and care-receivers experience this closeness or support. For others, there is a need for privacy. They do not want to share what is happening in their homes with neighbours or seek the support of community groups. Each person and family has to decide what is best for them.

Issues: No matter where one lives, caregivers and their care-receivers may experience: isolation; transportation problems; lack of appropriate or sufficient programs; and/or differences in health-care services that are available.

How to get help: There may be help available you are not aware of.

A first step is you can do is check around your community to see what is available. Speak with your family doctor or public nurse.

Ask about caregiver support groups, volunteer services, caregiving literature, a ‘meals on wheels’ service, medical services, home support services, respite services, assisted living facilities, personal care homes and workers, nursing homes, retirement homes, etc.

You can also contact us anytime. We are here to help to connect you with the resources and support you need.

Municipalities offering tax breaks for seniors who own their own homes.  The municipalities are listed in alphabetical order. (Select Heading to access list).

Please note: not every town and city is listed and not every town and city provides discounts. If where you live is not listed, please contact your local council office and ask if they do offer tax breaks.

Links to Resources and Information (listed in alphabetical order):

Financial Help Resources The resources below are things that can help you in your caregiver role and to help yourself.

Veterans Affairs Canada  presents "My VAC Account".  It is a simple and secure way for veterans  to do business online with VAC.
Limited quantities of printed products in both official languages will be available at Canada Post, Service Canada and at most Caisse populaire Desjardins outlets. If the documents have run out at these locations, information will be available to tell individuals how to order them by phone or online in their preferred language.  Beginning in 2019, the documents will be available only from the CRA.  Individuals can also  download and print the forms online. Those who want to file on paper and haven’t received a guide and forms book from the CRA by February 26, 2018, can order them at online or call the dedicated telephone lines for ordering forms packages: 1-855-330-3305 (for service in English) or 1-855-330-3310 (for service in French) or check out [the website below] Paper filers who have moved and have not updated their address with the CRA will need to contact the CRA or visit a Canada Post, Service Canada or Caisse populaire Desjardins outlet to get a tax package.
Community volunteer tax preparation clinics are generally offered between February and April each year at various locations. Trained volunteers are available to help seniors fill out income tax forms.  
Newcomers to Canada (immigrants and returning residents) Go to Are you a newcomer to Canada?  If you left another country to settle in Canada, the following information will introduce you to the Canadian tax system and help you to complete your first income tax and benefit return as a resident of Canada. It applies only for the first tax year that you are a new resident of Canada for income tax purposes. After your first tax year in Canada, you are no longer considered a newcomer for income tax purposes.
2017 tax package - Order your tax forms to be mailed from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or you can view and print copies of forms and publications.
Canada Revenue Agency Videos for Newcomers Are you a newcomer to Canada? This video shows newcomers how the Canadian tax system works and what Canada does with the taxes we pay. It also gives a quick overview of why a newcomer should file, where to get help when filing taxes, and the resources available so you can learn to prepare and file taxes yourself.  
Canadian Long-Term Care Insurance is a consumer resource centre for Long Term Care (LTC) education and insurance coverage. We are insurance licensed specialists dedicated to helping consumers determine if they need LTC insurance, assisting them to secure freedom of choice for care, and finding the absolute best value for their insurance dollars.  
The Government of Canada (in Budget 2017)  replaced the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit with the Caregiver Recognition Benefit. This benefit will simplify how Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) recognizes and supports caregivers: • $1000 monthly, tax free benefit directly to caregivers • No time limit to apply • Recognition of caregivers support to Veterans April 1, 2018 implementation date.
This Division of  Central Health offers many types of supportive programs and services across the region to provide individuals with the opportunity to live as independently as possible within their community. The focus is on helping individuals get the supports they need to overcome barriers, increase independence, and improve quality of life. Community Support & Residential Services include:
  • Palliative/End of Life Care
  • Short-term Acute Care
  • Home Support Services
  • Special Assistance Program
  • Personal Care Home
  • Long Term Care
Community Support and Residential Services uses a single entry service model for service delivery.
Credit Counselling Services of Newfoundland and Labrador have trained Financial Wellness Counsellors to assist people with credit and debt needs. They can provide creditor interventions or assist with retiring debt.
Eastern Health suggests that you complete an Advanced Healthcare Directive (AHCD) and Power of Attorney before your admission to a personal care home or nursing home. An Advance Health Care Directive helps individuals to make sure that their health care wishes (written) are known if for any reason they are unable to speak for themselves. A power of attorney is a written document that names the person you wish to act for you in relation to financial matters. An enduring power of attorney is required if you become mentally incapacitated. They suggest that you see a lawyer and discuss your wishes regarding your financial matters
The services provided under the Community Supports Program (CSP) focus on supporting individuals, families, and care providers by promoting independence, community inclusion, safety, and overall well-being. Services provided under the CSP include:
  • Financial Assessment Services
  • Home Support Program
  • Special Assistance Program
  • Supports for "neglected adults" protected adults under the Adult Protection Act
  • Requests for Respite Care
Referrals to the CSP can be made by the individual or their family, as well as a health care professional. The professional CSP team will determine eligibility for service. If you or a loved one wishes to access residential long-term care you may contact a community health office.  
Individuals wishing to get home supports and other benefits, must have a financial assessment. Depending upon a person’s income (how much money you make), Assets like cash on hand or bank accounts, and Expenses like basic living allowance, or rent/mortgage he or she may be required to pay towards the cost of services. Eastern Health may provide a subsidy to the overall cost. NOTE: Individuals must avail of all other funding sources (e.g. private health insurance) prior to requesting and receiving funding from Eastern Health.    
Provides services to eligible individuals who require assistance with activities of daily living in order to remain in their home. The aim of this program is to prevent, delay or substitute for placement in a long term care facility. Home support services are intended to supplement, not replace, services provided by the individual’s family or support network. For information or to make a  referrals to the Home Support Program, connect with the Community Support Program Intake in the St. John's area and the Local Community Health Offices in the rest of the Eastern region
Seniors and their families may receive Respite Care. This support is in the form of caregiver relief whereby the loved one is placed in a long-term-care facility for a short stay. Respite services must be applied for through Community Health Nurses or Community Health Social Workers in the office of placement services.
The Special Assistance Program (SAP) provides medical supplies, oxygen, and orthotics (special shoe inserts) to assist with activities of daily living for people living in the community. You must first meet financial eligibility and have a clinical assessment completed by a nurse  or social worker.
Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Benefits are available to people who have to be away from work temporarily to provide care or support to a family member who is gravely ill with a significant risk of death.
The Canada Revenue Agency's NEW service,  File my Return, will be available for eligible individuals who have low income or a fixed income that remains unchanged from year to year. Those who are eligible will receive an invitation letter in the mail in mid-February 2018. This service is only for a small sampling of Canadians this year.   File My Return uses an automated phone services . It allows all the deductions, benefits and credits the user is eligible for. Beginning on February 26, 2018, the service will run 21 hours a day from 6 am to 3 am, Eastern time, 7 days a week, until April 30, 2018. Individuals with questions about the File my Return service can call the CRA’s individual tax inquiries line at 1-800-959-8281.    
The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) ensures federally regulated financial entities (banks, retail associations and federal trust, loan and insurance companies) obey consumer protection measures, promote financial education and raise consumers’ awareness of their rights and responsibilities.
Questions often asked by people who have to be away from work for a short time (temporarily) to provide care or support to a family member who is seriously ill with a high risk of death within 26 weeks.
Questions often asked by people who are thinking of moving into a Long Term Care Facility (Nursing Home) or Personal Care Homes (owned by private businesses). Nursing homes generally provide higher level of nursing and personal care to residents  
Do you know a senior who has not applied for the Guaranteed Income Supplement? This is a monthly, tax-free, benefit paid to seniors who have low income and receive Old Age Security, or OAS. This application is for single or married persons or persons living in a common-law relationship, living in Canada with low income.
As their event, "The Big Tea" indicates, Independent Age is a United Kingdom site.  Contact numbers, events, language, and many resources are specific to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There are other resources available on the site. Advice Guides, Factsheets & Leaflets are free to download and printed copies are available for a price.
Community Health Programs cover all community nursing programs across the life cycle. One of these, Home and Community Care, includes services in home support; palliative care, respite care, and  special assistance (SAP).  This program coordinates  financial and needs assessments required for seniors (and others) to access a variety of services (home support, long term care). These assessments also determine eligibility for a subsidy toward the cost of living arrangements, home support, or other services.
This NLHC web page provides you with links to the following Programs: - Rental Housing Program - Downpayment Assistance Program (DAP) - Home Energy Savings Program (HESP) - Home Modification Program (HMP) - Provincial Home Repair Program (PHRP) NOTE: HESP replaces the Residential Energy Efficiency Program (REEP) The  Downpayment Assistance Program was not active in 2017; status for 2018 - To Be Determined.
Are you having a problem with provincial government services or programs? The Office of the Citizens’ Representative (OCR) provides a province-wide ombudsman service. The main work of the Citizens’ Representative is to accept complaints from citizens who feel they have been treated unfairly with respect to their contact with government offices and agencies.
Operating at arms length from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the Office of the Taxpayers' Ombudsman (OTO)  enhances CRA's accountability in its service to, and treatment of, taxpayers. OTO reviews individual  service-related complaints and systemic issues related to tax-service rights. Contact the Taxpayers' Ombudsman by calling 1-866-586-3839 (Canada and the United States) or e-mailing
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) works to help improve the digital literacy of Canadians. For seniors, they raise awareness of privacy issues and rights, and provide guidance and information to help older adults reduce privacy risks. On this page, you will find:
  • Tips to help protect your privacy online
  • Protecting personal information on your mobile devices
  • 10 Tips for Protecting Personal Information
  • Identity Theft and You
  • Top 10 tips to protect your inbox, computer and mobile device
  • Privacy presentation package Find slides and speaking notes for presenting to seniors about online privacy and protecting personal information.
This page provides a link to OPC's individuals page where you will find a full range of privacy information and advice on a wide range of topics.
The Paid Family Caregiving Option provides money so that certain seniors and adults with disabilities can pay a family member to do approved home support. To see if your loved one is eligible for this program contact your regional health authority.
The Public Legal Information Association of Newfoundland and Labrador provides general information and education about the law to all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, with the intent of increasing access to resources, information and justice.

PLIAN has developed a number of publications about many different areas of the law: Wills and Estates; Family Law; Criminal Law; Other Areas of Law; Links and Resources

(Corner Brook, NL), January 10, 2018 – The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) Corner Brook Region is issuing a public advisory regarding a phone scam whereby fraudsters are posing as the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Find a Service Canada Office will help you find services close to your home. Search by Postal code, City, or Browse by Province  or Territory.  
ServiceNL: Make an appointment online. Need to visit Motor Registration Division, Mount Pearl? Save time and avoid lineups! Make an appointment online. Be prepared for your visit If you don't have the required documents we may not be able to complete your transaction. Choose a service, like Vehicle registration or Photo ID and the link will bring you to a detailed description of how to prepared for your appointment. Once you confirm that you have: reviewed what you need to bring and that you are ready to make an appointment. Just press and continute.  
The Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) is a  multi-departmental government - community partnership. This initiative is working to find long term solutions to violence against those most at risk in our society. Persons at risk include - women, children, youth, older persons, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal women and children and other people who are vulnerable to violence because of their ethnicity, sexual orientation or economic status. The Violence Prevention Initiative is coordinated by the Women's Policy Office. Contact the VPI at or (709) 729-5009.
The following services are provided through Community Support:
  • Home Support Services
  • Nutritional Consulting Service
  • Financial Assessment
  • Special Assistance Program
  • Home Nursing Care
  • Personal Care Homes
  • Assessment & Placement Services for Long Term Residential Care and Personal Care Homes: Apply by contacting your local Western Health office to have an assessment (review) completed by the Community Health Nurse or Social Worker. Once a medical is completed by a physician (at your own cost) and a financial assessment is done, the application can be given in. If approved (by a letter), you will be placed on a wait list until a vacancy is found.
People wishing to get home supports services or to apply for Admission to Long Term Residential Care must have a Financial Assessment (review). Depending upon a person’s income (how much money you make), Assets like cash on hand or bank accounts, and Expenses like basic living allowance, or rent/mortgage he or she may be required to pay towards the cost of services. Western Health may provide a subsidy towards the overall cost.
Provides services to eligible individuals who require assistance with activities of daily living in order to remain in their home. The aim of this program is to prevent,  delay or substitute for placement in a long term care facility.  Home support services are intended to supplement, not replace, services provided by the individual’s family or support network. A referral must be made to the Community Health Nurse or Community Support Social Worker if the person is living in the community or to the hospital-based Social Worker if the client is currently in hospital.
Information on admission of an individual to the facility for a pre-set period of time. There are a number of different types of admissions under this service, all of which are designed to meet a specific need. A client and/or care provider may use this service more than once a year, with acceptance, depending upon need and bed availability.
The Special Assistance Program (SAP) provides medical supplies, oxygen, and orthotics (special shoe inserts) to assist with activities of daily living for people living in the community. You must first meet financial eligibility and have a clinical assessment completed by a health professional such as a Physician, Occupational Therapist, or Social Worker.


The most popular and useful documents, listed in alphabetical order:

Newsletter Signup

Join our mailing list to stay up to date about our new website.