Date updated: July 20, 2020
Municipal Tax Breaks for Seniors
Importnat NOTE: July 20, 2020- due to COVID-19, some, if not all Municpal offices may be closed to the public without an appointment. If you plan to pay for your taxes in person, please call the office first before you go.
IMPORTANT NOTE:March 24, 2020- due to COVID-19 Municipalities may offer a break or delay on tax payments. Please contact your local town/City to see if they are offering.
Please note: we are updating the information below as we get it . Those updated will have the word”UPDATED”
Please note: not every town and city is listed and not every town and city provides discounts. If where you live is not listed, please contact your local council office and ask if they do offer tax breaks.
Click the Community Name below where you live to go to more details
Bay Roberts: no weblink here, must call
- 10% discount for early payment for seniors
- Low income senior payment plan (Senior must prove they are in receipt of GIS)
- Please contact the town council office for an application form t: (709) 786-2126, extension 221
Taxpayers are eligible for the following reduction in their annual residential property taxes on their primary residence only provided that the Total Income into the household is less than that shown. Income is deemed to be income from all sources and includes basement apartment rental income, interest income and also includes the income of both spouses:
- Annual Income and Reduction
- 0.00 – $20,000 40%
- $20,001 – $21,500 30%
- $21,501 – $23,000 20%
- $23,001 – $25,000 10%
Conception Bay South:
LOW INCOME PROPERTY TAX REDUCTION: The Town of Conception Bay South will offer a 10% Property Tax Reduction for low income families.
- Who can receive the reduction?
Households with an income below $47,482 (four or more); $39,569 (three or more); $31,655 (two or more); $23,741 (person living alone)
- To qualify:
- Applicants must submit Canada Revenue Agency notice of assessments for the previous year to confirm income for the number of people living in the household and complete the application for review by Finance Department staff.
- The application can be obtained by calling the Finance Department at 834-6500 ext. 201. The application is not available online at this time.
- The Low Income Property Tax reduction cannot be combined with other tax reductions.
SENIOR CITIZENS PROPERTY TAX REDUCTION – GIC: A 20% property tax reduction is available to senior citizens in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement who meet the criteria.
SENIOR CITIZENS PROPERTY TAX DISCOUNT: A 5% property tax discount (to a maximum of $100) is available for senior citizens (65 and older) that would not otherwise realize the benefit of other programs offered by the Town. Tax relief under both the Low Income Reduction Program and the Senior’s Citizens Tax Reduction Policy is not available.
UPDATED Corner Brook:
Qualifying residents 65 years or older in the current calendar year can receive deferrals and discounts on their tax account.
To qualify for a deferral, a senior’s taxable income must be less than $12,500 for a single pensioner or $14,000 for married pensioners. The total household income must be less than $24,000. All requests must be supported by a copy of the Notice of Assessment which can be obtained by calling Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281. They must either be living in their property or the property must be vacant. The property cannot be rented to others or occupied by family members. The resident must pay $555 per unit for water and sewer. Any property tax that is deferred will remain a lien on the property.
Prescription drugs to the value of $700 for a single person, and $1,400 for a couple, will be considered for the purpose of computing income. Receipts must be provided.
To apply for a deferral please contact the City Collector at 709-637-1568.
To qualify for a 15% discount the taxpayer must be receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement under the Old Age Security Act. They must either be living in their property or the property must be vacant; the property cannot be rented to others or occupied by family members. To find out if you qualify for this benefit, please contact Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914 or online.
Senior citizens in receipt of the GIS are eligible for an interest free payment plan if all of the 2019 taxes are paid by June 28, 2019. To be eligible for the interest free payment plan, 20% of the outstanding taxes for 2019 are to be paid in February, March, April, May and June via post-dated cheques or pre-authorized payment. To apply for the interest free payment plan, please contact the City Collector at 709-637-1568.
Discounts will not be applied to interest or arrears.
An application must be submitted to the City Collector in Treasury Services. The application form can be obtained here.
To qualify for widows’/widower’s deferral the taxpayer’s taxable income must be less than $12,500 plus $1,350 for each dependent up to a maximum of three dependents with total income not to exceed $24,000. The basic charge of $555 must be paid and any property tax that is deferred will remain a lien on the property. They must either be living in their property or the property must be vacant. The property cannot be rented to others or occupied by family members. All requests must be supported by a copy of the Notice of Assessment which can be obtained by calling Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.
To qualify for a disabled pensioner deferral the taxpayer’s taxable income must be less than $12,500 plus $1,000 for spouse with total income not to exceed $24,000. The basic charge of $555 must be paid and any property tax that is deferred will remain a lien on the property. They must either be living in their property or the property must be vacant. The property cannot be rented to others or occupied by family members. All requests must be supported by a copy of the Notice of Assessment which can be obtained by calling Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.
Municipal Property Tax Exemption
- Must have a total annual income from the prior year (2018) of 18,500 or less (ask about the slifing scale).
- Application must be for primary residential property [ONLY current property tax/water/sewer fees].
- The exemption does not include garbage fees, these fees must be paid.
- A copy of the previous year’s tax return notice of assessment for all household members –
which would include both property owners (husband, wife or Common-Law partners),
must accompany this application.
- Deadline for receipt of applications – July 1st, 2019
Taxpayers are eligible for a (10% to 50%) reduction in their annual residential property and water/sewer taxes provided that the Total Income into the household is less than $25,000 to less than$18,750, respectively. Taxpayers with a total income of $0 to $18,750 will receive a 50% reduction.
Income is based on the previous year’s income and is deemed to be income from all sources including basement apartment rental income, interest income and income of both spouses. Download the application HERE.
A discount for seniors of 5% and a further 20% for those qualifying based on income (Guaranteed Income Supplement ). Down load the application HERE.
Property Tax Low Income Relief
- Gross Household Income Range and % Discount
- Residents who are property owners (including seniors) who may be experiencing financial hardship, based on family size and household income before tax, may be eligible for a property tax reduction of 10% on their primary residential property only.
- Income is deemed to be income from all sources, including basement apartment rentals, investments, benefits, spousal income or other means.
- Senior Citizens (65 years of age and older) are eligible for a reduction of $100.00 in their annual residential property tax on their primary residential property only, subject to proof of ownership and occupancy, if required.
- Residents are eligible for only one reduction per primary residential property and must apply for it on an annual basis.
- Applications for both reductions are available at the Town office.
- Any senior citizen in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement may be eligible for a 20% discount upon completing the Seniors Discount Form.
- All applications for the discount must be accompanied by a confirmation letter from Services Canada that the applicant is in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement. Letters can be requested by calling Service Canada toll free at 1-800-277-9914.
Seniors Discount: Seniors, 60 years of age or older, who own and reside at the property, are eligible for a 10 percent discount on the property tax portion only if taxes are paid according to Town’s payment terms.
- If you had a seniors discount in 2018, this discount will be automatically reflected in your 2019 invoice.
Special discount on property tax only, paid in full within 90 days of the issuance of the annual property tax bill, shall be granted to residential property owners who produce certification of a total household income of less than $16,000. This special discount is based on a sliding scale formula (details available at town hall).
- Application for this special discount must be made prior to tax payment.
- Tel: 1-709-695-2214/1995/7302
5% Discount on property tax for Senior Citizens if paid in full by March 31, 2019.
If your income is $23,925 or less, taxes are based on your previous year’s gross income before deductions. Proof of income must be produced (income tax statement or other form of proof as approved by Council).
Rebate for property owners (name on assessment roll) 65 years and older.
If total household income from all sources falls within the totals below, a reduction in property tax is available, after verification from Revenue Canada.
This will apply only to the property in which the resident is residing.
TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME……………………………………REDUCTION
$0.00 – $20, 500 ………………………………………………………………………… 40%
$20,501 – $22,500 ……………………………………………………………………… 30%
$22,501 – $23,500 ……………………………………………………………………… 20%
$23,501 – $25,000 ……………………………………………………………………… 10%
A property tax reduction is available to Senior Citizens who meet the following criteria:
a: Aged 65 years of age or older and in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement OR between the ages of 60 and 64, and in receipt of the Allowance for the Survivor.
b: Registered owner and principal residence of the owner
Residents who meet these criteria must make an annual application for the reduction.
All applications must include a letter of confirmation from the Government of Canada that the applicant is in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement or the Allowance for the Survivor. Letters can be requested by calling the Service Canada Toll Free number 1-800-277-9914.
If you would like further information concerning the Senior Citizens Tax Reduction, please contact Revenue Accounting Division 709-576-8251
Town of Torbay:
Residential property owners in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) may be
eligible for a 25% property tax reduction on the property tax invoice as it relates to their
primary residence only.
- There is an application process to determine/confirm eligibility (see Application HERE).
- Obtain an Entitlement Letter (GIS) by calling Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914
- Deadline for Applications on or before March 29th, 2019.
Low Income Property Tax Reduction Residents may be eligible for a 20% Property Tax Reduction for their primary place of residence only. Single income must be less than $18,955.00, or family annual income less than $32,052.00 to qualify for this reduction
- There is an application process to determine/confirm eligibility. See Application HERE
- Deadline for applications is June 28, 2019 709-437-6532