Fire and Emergency Services FES NL FAQ for the Newfoundland and Labrador Disaster Financial Assistance Program (NL-DFAP)
FAQ sheets answer the questions:
- What do we after we’ve been affected by flooding in communities and homes?
- Due to the recent flooding event on the West Coast of the island, how do I apply for disaster financial assistance as a homeowner, municipality, a not-for-profit organization or a small business owner?
- Government of NL must determine that the weather event falls under the criteria for NL-DFAP
- The general public will then be notified through media releases.
- Compensation for damages based on criteria established by both the federal and provincial DFA programs
- Applications can be made by individual homeowners, municipalities and communities, small businesses, and not-for-profit organizations. Site has links to NL-DFAP application forms.
- Residents encouraged to contact their insurance companies first and take steps to mitigate further damage.
- The Insurance Bureau of Canada Consumer Info Centre has an information line for insurance policy holders to get information and advice: 1-844-227-5422 (ext 228).